Thursday, February 7, 2013

The end

Lots of my writer friends like to type THE END on the last page of their book. I don't think I've ever done that! I'n not sure why. Maybe because I have a love hate relationships with endings. No matter how long it's taken me to write the story, no matter how many hiccups I've had along the way, getting to that final page makes me sad. Just as readers tell me they've fallen in love with my characters, so I love them too. I dream about them, talk to them, listen to them and even when I leave them happy ever after, it's always a bitter sweet moment.
My latest story - as yet title is undecided - is an MM romance between Tyler, a college music student, and Haris, a half-Saudi venture capitalist. The plot is quite complicated and I did have a week of teeth gnashing when I couldn't figure out where I was going. The perils of not planning things out before you start!
But 95,000 words later I've reached the end. My fantastic critique partner and great writer Arlene Webb is beta reading for me. Then I'll need to go through it again before I let it loose looking for a home.
So what to do now? Start another and that's the one good thing about the end - if you're a writer, it's always followed by a beginning.

Just my random shot of a cloud creeping along the ground - which gave me an idea for a story!


No comments: