Sunday, September 12, 2010

Is it me?

I read a ferocious amount of books, consume them, devour them - in almost every genre. I don't write reviews of many and I don't write reviews of books in the same genre as the one in which I write. That's asking for trouble. So the book I've just read, that I loved until two thirds through and then didn't - is not going to be named. I just checked on Amazon and it appears almost everyone loved it. It won a prize so how come I just didn't get the way it seemed wrong for the last third. Without giving the game away - boy dumps girl, she goes away, finds new love, still wonders about old love - who has shown NO decent spark about him at all, she leaves new love for old love, realises she's made a mistake and new love arrives to declare his undying affection.
Same old plot - nothing wrong with that. Very little new under the sun BUT I just didn't get why she left the new love and went back to the old. It just didn't work in the book. I can't be the only one that thinks that- can I? But it seems I am. To be frank, it worries me.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

Could be many voices who think exactly like you, but dont want to say WTF on a review where others seem to think otherwise. I know I'd be disappointed in such a simple plot line and then I'd have gritted my teeth when MC finds true love, dumps it for an ex that didnt do it for her to begin with, and then waltzes back to the new love just to fill up word count.