Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Manipulating Characters

Usually, I start writing with no idea where the story is going, nor what my characters will be like. But those details come fast once I get going. For some reason, this time, I decided beforehand what I want my characters to be like and now they are NOT cooperating.
First version they were cool dudes. Second, they were cheeky flirts. Third version - somewhere between the two. I've tried sitting and thinking it out. Tried swimming it out at the gym, but they've not formed yet in my mind. The female has - but it's the relationship between her and the two guys that has me flummoxed this time.
I don't want to leave this story alone because I've been dying to write it. The alternative is my story about Walmart. Which will probably have to be renamed Tarmart or Sexmart something. That's going to have a big cast of characters, so I really need to grab the current three by the neck and make them behave. Since i can't even control the dog, I don't stand much chance.

3 comments:

Fred said...

Give them occupations, a salary, a place to live, an education, a childhood with certain types of parents, and that'll tell you which one they are, cheeky or cool.

p.s. Isn't it odd how the brainwaves seem to move a little more freely when excercising?

L. A. Green said...

Another in the works, Barbara? Can wait to see what you come up with this time.

Crack the whip and make those characters straighten up.

(If only.)

Arlene said...

The pressures on, and I know you wont rest until they, obstinate guys, get sorted. I also know the threesome will be brillant.