Sunday, August 5, 2012

Walk on the wild side

We live fairly close to a number of reservoirs that have been made by flooding valleys and there are some great walks around them. WERE some great walks. A couple of months ago it was announced on the local news that a six feet boa constrictor had been seen where we walk. We do have snakes in the UK, but they're not big and I've never seen one. The boa is supposed to be an escaped pet but it seems more likely someone could no longer cope with it and dumped it.
 There are signs up warning people to keep their dogs on a lead. My nerves were already jangling before we set off on the 4 mile walk last week.
Husband-who-thinks-he's-so-clever kept making noises that made me jump. Comments like - ohh look at that, had me leaping in the air. His - Oh my God - actually made me shriek. Turned out to be a rather long slug on the path in front of us. Oh how he laughed. We didn't see the snake- but you know, if we had, I might just have kept quiet and let it eat him.

5 comments:

Arlene said...

Oh God, that is a slinky sort of freak to have wrap around your ankles. No wonder quite a few of your characters obess about snakes. Damn that husband of yours!

Barbara Elsborg said...

He also said - boas like to go up trees and then grabbed my shoulder. More freaked out behavior from me!

Fred said...

Just watch your dog around a boa. Dogs make a nice meal for them.

Anonymous said...

An African proverb: “A weapon which you don't have in your hand won't kill a snake."

Here in Missouri, many of us carry snake guns, though, as I watch my Dad randomly fire at the snakes in his cove, I feel the urge to strap bullet proof vests on the surrounding neighbors and pets. Which is worse? A bite from a snake or a bullet? LOL

Barbara Elsborg said...

We don't have guns here! If I had one, I bet I'd never hit anything. To be honest, I'd rather be hit by a bullet than bitten by a snake. They really freak me out. I know boas only contrict but..... I have no idea if this snake (That's the actual one in the photo) has died or is still out there living on local wildlife.