Saturday, August 3, 2013

In praise of a friend

I've met lots of people since I discovered the Internet - made a lot of friends who've helped me on the writing journey. None has been more faithful than Arlene Webb, who is a brilliant and quirky writer. Arlene has beta read everything that I've written - as I've done for her. I don't put acknowledgements in the front of my books for all sorts of reasons but by rights, Arlene's name should be in every one. She has a brilliant eye for me repeating, overstating, not being clear. She comes up with ideas to help when I'm stuck. She's everything a writing partner should be.
I have met her in the flesh once! I hope it won't be the last time. Arlene has to snatch time for writing while she's busy running a florists. I'm lucky. I don't have to work at anything other than writing - well apart from babysitting grandson and looking after husband.
I've loved everything that Arlene has written. She's had some truly original ideas and anyone who's a writer knows how rare that is. I'd be hard pushed to say what story I've liked the most. It would have to be a toss up between Incoming Alert and the Colors Series - starting with Splintered Energy. As I'm currently writing and struggling with a story that has quite a large cast of characters for me, I'm even more in awe of Arlene's cast in the Colors books. I often commented to her as I beta read - how well she handled dialogue from a lot of individuals. I still have a lot to learn and I'm lucky I have her!

http://www.arlenewebb.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=arlene+webb&sprefix=Arlene+Webb%2Caps%2C232

5 comments:

Arlene said...

Oh my, I wasnt expecting this but how wonderful to feel the arms of friendship and love across the ocean. Thank you for all the kind words. We've shared so many worlds I can't imagine anything changing that. Not ever. And I know for certain none of my stories would be out there, for better, without you. Smile, knowing your kindness makes me on top of the world.

Barbara Elsborg said...

Hugsxxxxx

D L Jackson said...

You are indeed awesome, Arlene. Barbara couldn't have said it better.

Arlene said...

Right back at you, Dawn. There's no question, your support and friendship means the world to me, as does your fantastic help with blurbs and beta reads.

Fred said...

Praise well earned.