Thursday, June 16, 2011

How long will I last?


I should stop googling myself. It's a terrible habit but when I need a break from a scene I'm writing, I find my fingers itching to see if anyone has written any reviews about my recent releases. Generally I find the answer is no, so after skipping down a few pages I get trawled into a slow realization that every bleeping word I've ever written is there for all the world to admire, laugh at or ignore.

I am careful about what I say - mostly - but how long are those words going to be there? Forever? Is this my afterlife, my immortality? My pronouncements about TV shows, my son's dog, my ever patient husband, my kids? Why didn't I study astrophysics at university so that I could have at least left some intelligent words for the world. No, instead the world gets an insight into what is clearly a strange mind - one that writes about MM sex and MMF menages and MF sex and murderous psychotic bad guys like Jack in CHOSEN. Oh God, is that how I'm going to be remembered?

7 comments:

Fred said...

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The words on the internet will eventually fade as the sites that carry them run out of money and bandwidth. IMO the only words that have a shot at outliving us for any length of time are the words in the books.

Now I'm off to post on some militant groups web sites using my alias, Barbara Elsborg. (it's just a coincidence, I actually picked the name before we ever met.)

Barbara Elsborg said...

B.....d!
It's all right for you, Fred. Future generations of your Osama Bin Laden family will read your fine books and be impressed. Mine will think I'm a sex maniac.
Mmmm.

Fred said...

You...you mean, you're not? Then why am I following this blog?

Barbara Elsborg said...

shhh!!

Arlene said...

What if you googled and there was nothing? A blank boring vast emptiness? You are the most imaginative person I know. If you didnt empty your brain consistently onto paper, give blogs and FB snippets of your mind, I fear you'd blow up. You have to keep writing, saying whatever sexual or villianess or wonderful or horrible thing you wish, or life will become very grey for so many, espiecally me.
If you want to get really dark remember, there's always Jason Flick to the rescue.

Barbara Elsborg said...

Tis true - rubs hands and gives evil cackle......

L. A. Green said...

Not to fear, Barbara. I'm sure your work will be around for a long, long time.

Hmm, should I read Chosen or Fellowship of the Rings today? No contest there. LOL

And people will say you're a sex maniac? You say that like it's a bad thing. :)