Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Minds Playing Tricks



One of the threads of my suspense story ‘Chosen’ is about Capgras Syndrome, where a sufferer believes a close family member, in this case my character’s husband and daughter have been replaced by imposters who look like them. The mother of my heroine, Kate, develops the syndrome after a car accident and refuses to acknowledge her husband or daughter. (Strikes me as a good way to dismiss family members you’re fed up of- as long as you can keep it up)
I have to admit, I’m completely fascinated by these quirky medical conditions. 
Stendhal syndrome – causes rapid heartbeat, dizziness and confusion to an individual if they are confronted by something incredibly beautiful. (Not the reason my husband made my heart beat fast last night then)
Cotard Delusion – where a person believes they are dead or don’t actually exist or they’re putrefying. (wow- idea for a paranormal novel there, Cotard Delusion and the Zombies)
Diogenes Syndrome – common in the elderly – they don’t look after themselves and compulsively hoard, sometimes hoarding animals or body waste. (Oh yuk – but hoarding books doesn’t count, does it? And I did take my twice yearly bath a few days ago)
Paris Syndrome – one of my favorites – where every year a handful of Japanese tourists have to be repatriated from the French capital when they are shocked by the difference between reality and their expectations. (I was shocked at the cost of everything. I ought to write a blog about how to live on bread and water in Paris)
Reduplicative Paramnesia – bit of a mouthful. It’s a belief that a place has been duplicated so there are two of them. Two cities of Paris (sorry Japanese tourists). (Brilliant idea for movie coming to me now…)
Finally – Fregoli Delusion – opposite of the Capgras syndrome – where a person believes different people are in fact all the same in disguise. (There is only me in the world, everyone else is the same person – I’m worried now)

I know malfunctioning brains aren’t something to laugh about but the mind is a fabulous as well as a treacherous thing. Most of us are lucky enough to know the difference between appearance and reality. Those of us who are writers try to draw readers into the world of our imagination and hope they have fun there. I hope I cling to my imagination until I’m old and gray. (less of the - you already are - husband!)

2 comments:

Fred said...

Dogitis is the condition in which a person believes his/her dog is actually God, and feels compelled to fetch the dog whatever he/she wants. I am terribly afflicted.

Barbara Elsborg said...

Oh God, I have that too!!!